Certified Hardware Solutions
Entrust has earned a broad set of certifications for nShield products. These certifications help our customers to demonstrate compliance while also giving them the assurance that their nShield HSMs meet stringent industry standards.
- FIPS 140-2 Level 2 and Level 3
- USGv6 accreditation
- eIDAS and Common Criteria EAL4 + AVA_VAN.5 and ALC_FLR.2 certification against EN 419 221-5 Protection Profile, under the Dutch NSCIB scheme
- Can form the basis of an EN 419 241-2 certified remote signing system for eIDAS.
- Compliant with BSI AIS 31 for true and deterministic random number generation
- Common Criteria EAL4+ (AVA_VAN.5) for nShield Connect+ models
- Recognition of nShield Connect+ as a Qualified Signature Creation Device (QSCD)
- ICP Brazil certification to NSC3 level
- Singapore CSA NITES certification for nShield Connect XC models
Safety and Environmental Standards Compliance
- UL, CE, FCC, RCM, Canada ICES
- RoHS2, WEEE
High Transaction Rates
nShield HSMs boast high elliptic curve cryptography (ECC) and RSA transaction rates. ECC, one of the most efficient cryptographic algorithms, is particularly favored where low power consumption is crucial, such as applications running on small sensors or mobile devices.
|nShield Connect Models||500+||XC Base||1500+||6000+||XC Mid||XC High|
|RSA Signing Performance (tps) for NIST Recommended Key Lengths|
|ECC Prime Curve Signing Performance (tps) for NIST Recommended Key Lengths|
Note 1: Performance indicated requires ECDSA fast RNG feature activation available free of charge on request from Entrust Support.
Wide Support for APIs, Cryptographic Algorithms and OSs
- PKCS#11, OpenSSL, Java (JCE), Microsoft CAPI/ CNG and Web Services (requires Web Services Option Pack)
Supported Cryptographic Algorithms
- Asymmetric public key algorithms: RSA, Diffie-Hellman, ECMQV, DSA, KCDSA, ECDSA, ECDH, Edwards (X25519, Ed25519ph)
- Symmetric algorithms: AES, AES-GCM, ARIA, Camellia, CAST, RIPEMD160 HMAC, SEED, Triple DES
- Hash/message digest: SHA-1, SHA-2 (224, 256, 384, 512 bit), HAS-160
- Full Suite B implementation with fully licensed ECC including Brainpool and custom curves
- Elliptic Curve Key Agreement (ECKA) available via Java API and nCore APIs
- Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) available via Java API, PKCS#11 and nCore APIs
nShield HSMs offers support for the majority of these cryptographic algorithms as part of the standard feature set. For organizations wishing to use ECC or South Korean algorithms, optional activation licenses are needed.
Windows and Linux operating systems including distributions from RedHat, SUSE and major cloud service providers running as virtual machines or in containers.
Calculated at 25°C operating temperature using Telcordia SR-332 “Reliability Prediction Procedure for Electronic Equipment” MTBF Standard
- Connect XC 107,384 hours
- Connect+ 99,284 hours
Options and Accessories
Performance Ratings and Options
To meet the performance needs of your application, Entrust provides a variety of nShield Connect models as shown in the Technical Specifications tab. You can select among the performance models shown, and can also purchase in-field upgrades on XC models from lower performance models to higher models.
nShield Connect HSMs ship with three client licenses, each allowing a connection to an IP address. Additional licenses are available for purchase. The maximum number of client licenses supported varies by nShield Connect model as shown in the table below.
Max # client licenses per nShield Connect Model
XC Base/500+ 10 licenses
XC Mid/1500+ 20 licenses
XC High/6000+ Unlimited*
Note* requires Enterprise Client License activation
Software Options Pack
Entrust offer a range of software option packs which can be used in conjunction with your nShield HSMs.
nShield Monitor is a monitoring platform that provides 24×7 visibility into the status of nShield HSMs. With this solution, security teams can efficiently inspect HSMs and find out immediately if any potential security, configuration or utilization issue may compromise their mission-critical infrastructure.
Remote Administration Kits
nShield Remote Administration lets operators manage distributed nShield HSMs—including adding applications, upgrading firmware, checking status, re-booting and more—from their office locations, reducing travel and saving money. Remote Administration Kits contain the hardware and software needed to set up and use the tool. These kits are available for nShield Solo and nShield Connect HSMs.
Cloud Disaster Recovery
Increase redundancy and reliability of on-premises deployments.
- Subscription-based service
- Adds off-site HSM resources
- Convenient and cost-effective
CodeSafe is a powerful, secure environment that lets you execute applications within the secure boundaries of nShield HSMs. Applications include cryptography and high value business logic associated with banking, smart metering, authentication agents, digital signature agents and custom encryption processes. CodeSafe is available with FIPS 140-2 Level 3 certified nShield Solo and nShield Connect HSMs.
The CipherTools is a set of tutorials, reference documentation, sample programs and additional libraries. With this toolkit, developers can take full advantage of the advanced integration capabilities of nShield HSMs. In addition to offering support for standard APIs, the toolkit enables you to run custom applications with nShield HSMs. CipherTools Developer Toolkit is included free of charge in the standard Security World software ISO/DVD.
Security teams that want to strongly authenticate their nShield Connect HSMs clients can use nTokens PCIe cards to do hardware-based host identification and verification.
Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) Activation
The ECC activation license enables EC-DH, EC-DSA and EC-MQV to be used on an nShield HSMs.
With the KCDSA activation license, you can use the Korean Certificate-based Digital Signature Algorithm (KCSDA) as well as HAS-160, SEED and ARIA algorithms on an nShield HSMs.
Entrust offers optional slide rails that let users mount nShield Connect in a 19″ rack without a shelf. Entrust recommends that customers use these slide rails exclusively as parts from other manufacturers may not be compatible.
Many functions of nShield Connect HSMs can easily be executed using the touch wheel at the front of the unit. Entrust offers an optional USB keyboard for even greater ease of use.
Field Replaceable Parts
nShield Connectfeatures parts that operators can replace in the field, with minimal downtime. These parts include dual, hot-swap power supplies and field-replaceable fan tray (requires nShield Connect to be put into standby).